Rose to present at OBA Labour & Employment program
Toronto mediator and settlement counsel Mitchell Rose will be a guest speaker at an upcoming Ontario Bar Association Labour and Employment CPD program.
“Overcoming Professionalism Challenges in Employment Law and Workplace Investigations” — chaired by Ella Forbes-Chilibeck of Forbes-Chilibeck Law and Andrew Monkhouse of Monkhouse Law — is geared toward in-house counsel, external counsel and workplace investigators. The program will provide insights and guidance on the following issues:
- Managing your relationship with counsel and workplace investigators
- Working with vulnerable, culturally diverse or difficult clients and their support people
- Making sense of privilege in the context of workplace investigations
- Disclosure and dishonesty — when do you need to disclose?
- Balancing your duties to encourage settlement and advocate for your client
- What happens at mediation stays at mediation — maintaining confidentiality
- Avoiding pitfalls of tax avoidance.
Hena Singh of Singh Lamarche LLP and Marnie Baizley of Spring Law will hold a panel on workplace investigations, while Gregory Ko of Kastner Law and Rose, principal of Rose Dispute Resolution, will discuss employment law.
Rose tells AdvocateDaily.com he will be speaking from a mediator perspective while Ko will provide a lawyer’s viewpoint on the following topics:
- Mitigation and professionalism
- Taxation of settlements
- Diversity and inclusion in mediation
- Applicable Rules of Professional Conduct
- The “duty to settle” — R. 3.2-4 of the Rules of Professional Conduct
- Mediation confidentiality
- How to navigate difficult lawyers and clients during mediation
The event takes place Nov. 19, from 9:00 - 10:30 a.m. at the OBA Conference Centre, 20 Toronto St.
This program contains a total of one hour and 30 Minutes of Professionalism content including 15 Minutes of Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Professionalism content and one hour and 15 minutes of other Professionalism content.
To learn more or to register, click here.