Toronto Lawyers Association
Meet impaired driving experts at TLA
Despite years of public attention and education, the tragic toll from criminal driving offences remains ever present. From a legal perspective, few would suggest that the old regime - technical, cumbersome and outdated - was working. On December 18, 2018 all of the old driving provisions of the Criminal Code were repealed and replaced with a brand-new legislative scheme, modernizing all driving offence provisions.
The Toronto Lawyers Association invites you, on September 25th, to join impaired driving experts Karen Jokinen (defence) and Peter Keen (Crown) as they provide a clear, concise and balanced review of the new provisions, including the reformulated criminal driving offences, the expanded police powers relating to roadside stops, screening and evidentiary demands, and the evidentiary provisions that will now guide the prosecution and defense of these charges.
In this program, you will also learn about:
- New investigative techniques
- Transitional cases
- New procedural rules relating to proof and challenge
- Provisions that will be subject to legal argument, judicial interpretation and constitutional challenges
- Trial strategies and issues, sentencing and ethics
- Details and differences between impaired driving, drinking and driving and drugged driving
- Fines and sentencing, including corollary consequences
- Creation of the “80 and over” offence
- “Per se” drug limits and the THC and alcohol combined offence
- Practical tips and knowledge amassed only by having prosecuted and defended hundreds of impaired driving cases
This program has been approved for 15 minutes of Professionalism Content and is eligible for up to 1 hour 45 of Substantive Content.
The TLA is very please to share a special offer: the title Impaired Driving And Other Criminal Code Driving Offences: A Practitioner's Handbook, written by the speakers Jokinen and Keen, is at the price of $85 when you purchase your ticket for the seminar in advance.
Discounted price applicable only for books ordered in advance of the event and not available as a stand-alone offer. The book's regular price is $115.00.
Impaired Driving: The Dawn of a New Era | Wednesday, September 25, 2019 - 5:15 – 7:15 p.m. | TLA Lawyers Lounge, 2nd Floor, 361 University Avenue Court House
This tailored approach to CPD is what lies at the heart of a TLA Education program. Our Education programs run in the evening, generally last a couple of hours, and offer CPD credits in a collegial, informal atmosphere. Our seminars are designed, written and presented by professionals from the Toronto community. Join us for great conversations covering timely, interesting topics, relevant to your practice.