Options available to some Americans seeking to move to Canada

For those Americans who may be considering a move north if Republican Party candidate Donald Trump wins the U.S. presidency, there are a few ways that you may be able to make that happen, Toronto immigration lawyers Andrew Carvajal and Samuel Plett write in Lawyers Weekly.

As Carvajal, partner with Desloges Law Group, and Plett, an associate with the firm, explain, the best option for a young and highly educated professional with some years of experience under their belt may be the “Express Entry” program.

“Canada has a federal immigration program that welcomes individuals with professional experience abroad. You do not need a job offer to apply and the skilled worker program is no longer limited to a select list of occupations. The only catch is that the ‘best and the brightest’ (the youngest, most educated and most fluent in one of Canada’s official languages) are chosen as Express Entry is a points-based system,” they write.

Essentially, they say, by creating a profile, an individual is entered into a pool of potential immigrants to Canada, and will be competing against other skilled professionals from all over the world.

Older individuals who have work experience as a senior executive or business owner may want to explore the business programs offered by several provinces, Carvajal and Plett explain.

“It will cost you, but what better way to teach Trump a lesson than to invest in a foreign economy? If running a business is not your cup of tea but you would rather just invest money as your way to obtaining permanent residence, the Quebec investor program may be an option,” they write.

For those looking for a less permanent option, professionals in certain occupations who have a Canadian job offer may be able to secure a work permit under the North America Free Trade Agreement, Carvajal and Plett explain in the article.

“The agreement also has provisions for temporary workers who are transferring between a U.S. company and its Canadian division, as well as U.S. traders and investors,” they write.

Studying in Canada is another option, given the cheaper cost of tuition and the great schools.

“If you have a spouse, she/he can work while you study and your children will be able to go to school. You will also be able to work part time during the academic terms and full time while on vacation. Studying at a Canadian college or university for longer than eight months also allows you to obtain a work permit when you graduate,” write Carvajal and Plett.

Canadian citizens or permanent residents can also sponsor their spouses into the country to become permanent residents, they say.

“What’s even better is we are not that traditional up here when it comes to the definition of a spouse — you don’t have to be married (or heterosexual) to be sponsored by your Canadian partner,” add Carvajal and Plett.

To Read More Andrew Carvajal Posts Click Here