Effective management of sexual harassment complaints. Tuesday, November 6, 2018. 5:15-7pm.
On Tuesday, November 6, 2018, the TLA will be hosting an evening Nutshell Seminar entitled "Effective Management of Sexual Harassment Complaints". Recent world events have brought a public spotlight to the issue of sexual harassment. As a result, there have been an increasing number of allegations of sexual harassment in workplaces across all sectors. As if this were not stressful enough for the parties involved, these sensitive issues now often play out amidst the intense scrutiny of the media and the general public alike. In the wake of a number of high profile cases, it has become apparent that sexual harassment complaints need to be dealt with swiftly and effectively.
Our panel session will provide an interactive discussion between lawyers who represent both employers and employees:
- Julie Chapman, LexisNexis Canada Inc.
- Mark Fletcher, Grosman Gale Fletcher Hopkins LLP
- Ellen Low, Ellen Low Employment Law
and our moderator for the evening will be Shana French, Sherrard Kuzz LLP
You can expect to hear expert discussion on such topics as:
- When is the duty to act triggered in respect of a complaint of sexual harassment?
- What critical steps need to be taken when a complaint is received?
- What practical steps can be taken to balance the interests of the workplace parties involved in a complaint?
- In what forum(s) can workplace sexual harassment complaints be made or litigation initiated?
- What liability may flow if a complaint is substantiated, or if a complaint is mishandled?
- What can and should be communicated to the public regarding complaints of sexual harassment?
This program has been accredited for 1 hour and 40 minutes of (Equality & Inclusion) Professionalism Content.
This tailored attitude to CPD is what a TLA Nutshell is all about: anticipating, meeting and satisfying our members’ needs. TLA Nutshells run in the evening, generally last a couple of hours, and offer CPD credits in a collegial, informal atmosphere. Our seminars are designed, written and presented by professionals from the Toronto legal community. We invite you to check out our fall line-up for other upcoming seminars and social events. Join us for interesting topics and great conversations, as well as the opportunity to meet up with friends and colleagues, new or old.