Death By Choice: medically assisted dying in Canada. A TLA Nutshell seminar. Thursday, October 26, 2017, 5-7:00 p.m.
The topic of medically assisted dying is coming up more frequently in your conversations with colleagues and clients – even if it doesn’t have a direct bearing on your practice. Here’s a chance to hear the facts you need to know surrounding this evolving and delicate issue.
In this timely and provocative program, “Death by Choice: Medically Assisted Dying in Canada”, we will update you on cases being considered under this legislation, and hear from a panel of experts on topics including:
• How does a lawyer determine capacity in a client with a late stage illness who is ready to die, for the purpose of taking instruction?
• Steps in the process and what lawyers need to know about it - from a doctor’s perspective
• Who is the real client? - potential conflicts between the dying client and surviving family – e.g., screening for undue influence
• Drafting a Personal Care Power of Attorney – does a lawyer have an obligation to determine a client’s wishes regarding Medical Assistance in Dying?
• Self-care for the lawyer and staff as they navigate this new territory providing end-of-life service to the dying client and his or her family
Materials include a checklist of what can be done in this unique circumstance, in advance of death, to eliminate the pressure caused by settling an estate shortly thereafter.
The evening’s speakers include Daphne Jarvis, Borden Ladner Gervais LLP, Dr. Simon J. W. Oczkowski, Assistant Professor, McMaster University, Department of Medicine and Critical Care Physician at Hamilton General Hospital and moderator Melanie Manchee, Melanie A. Manchee Professional Corp.
This Nutshell has been approved for 50 minutes of professionalism content.
This tailored approach to CPD is what lies at the heart of a TLA Nutshell. Nutshells run in the evening, generally last a couple of hours, and offer CPD credits in a collegial, informal atmosphere. Our seminars are designed, written and presented by acknowledged professionals and thought leaders from the Toronto professional community. Join us for interesting topics and great conversations. Please go to our website for a complete list of upcoming Nutshells and events.