Join The Honourable Dennis O’Connor, QC, and an esteemed panel of speakers as they tackle the topic, When Appellate Advocacy Goes Awry at the TLA’s 5th Annual Current Topics in Ethics & Professionalism
The panelists for this session will be Justice Gloria Epstein, Joseph Di Luca and Paul Pape.
We all know that losing a motion or trial is not easy. You have spent countless hours and sleepless nights building your client’s case, and then in one document, it is all over. A recent decision of the Québec Court of Appeal (Dunkin’ Brands Canada Ltd. Bertico Inc., 2015 QCCA 624 (CanLII)) has highlighted the need to be careful in how counsel approach and argue an appeal. This program will give you the tools you need to advocate fearlessly on behalf of your clients in the Court of Appeal while meeting ethical obligations and upholding respect for the administration of justice. Justice O’Connor, QC and the panel will cover
- Full disclosure obligations in the context of appellate submissions
- Dealing with recent legal developments both prior to, and following, the appeal
- Dealing with developments on the record between the trial and appeal
- Dealing with improper strategic decisions or incompetence on the part of trial counsel
- Raising new issues and arguments on appeal
Other sessions will cover How to be Diligent with the Self-Represented Litigant and Obligations of Ethical Negotiations.
Join us on October 7, at 4:30 pm. in the TLA Lawyers Lounge, 361 University Avenue Courthouse and get all 3 of your LSUC mandated CPD hours. Register online.