Lexpert magazine has published its Top 10 Deals of 2013, and we are pleased to report that Blakes acted as a key legal adviser on eight of the transactions, more than any other Canadian firm.
- Safeway Inc. on the sale of its Canadian operations to Sobeys Inc. for C$5.8-billion, the transaction that was selected as Lexpert’s “Deal of the Year”
- H&R REIT on its C$2.75-billion acquisition of Primaris Retail REIT and subsequent agreement to sell a portfolio of 18 Primaris properties to a syndicate led by KingSett Capital for C$1.28-billion
- Bell on its C$3.38-billion acquisition of all of the issued and outstanding shares of Montréal-based Astral Media Inc.
- The lenders in connection with First Quantum Minerals C$2.5-billion acquisition financing for its C$5.1-billion acquisition of Inmet Mining
- The Brick Ltd. on its acquisition by Leon’s Furniture Limited in a deal valued at C$700-million
- Aurizon Mines in connection with its defence of a hostile take-over bid by Alamos Gold, which resulted in a proposed C$796-million acquisition of Aurizon by Hecla Mining Company
- The lenders to Dominion Diamond Corporation (formerly Harry Winston, Inc.) on its US$553-million acquisition of BHP Billiton’s diamond business
- Agrium Inc. on its successful proxy contest with dissident shareholder JANA Partners LLC
Lexpert's Top 10 deals list has been published annually since 2004. The list is based on an extensive canvass conducted by Editor-in-Chief Jean Cumming of Canadian M&A, securities and corporate finance lawyers.